Follow GuyMacPherson on Twitter

Monday, July 23, 2012

Podcast episode 287ish: Norm Macdonald

Nothing's off-limits with Norm Macdonald
Okay, here it is. Settle down! The full Norm Macdonald episode in podcast version. I got some good feedback last week on the interview. Glad you enjoyed it.

What did you miss? What didn't you miss?! It was epic, as I told you last week. Norm is just one of the most engaging comics in the business. Not an ounce of ego on the guy, from my perspective. The episode didn't focus on comedy – not by a long shot – but when he did, he was nothing short of illuminating. And the rest was equally interesting, I thought, but I can totally see how some diehard comedy fans might not think so. 

I also got some comments wondering why it takes a week to put the radio show up as a podcast. Well let me now elucidate you.

This here enterprise is all on a volunteer basis. It started out on co-op radio and that's still its first home. We go to air on Sundays at 11 pm. The show is usually an hour long, but lately has been expanding a bit since we have no show following us and the station permits us to go long. The radio logs allow you to livestream what's going out on air, and also check out what's already been played. Now here comes the confusing part.

Since there's no live show following us, and since we're only slotted for one hour, that's all that you can hear on the station archives. So if we go long, you won't hear the end. Nothing we can do about it.

Since it is co-op and there are, on occasion, snafus live on-air (not to mention awkward pauses, clearing of throats, and stumbling over words – we're voluteer, remember), I often edit it a bit before sending the file over to be uploaded in podcast form. And our lovely webmistress at comedycouch.com, who houses the podcast, has a day job and isn't available to just jump when I say jump. But she's agreed to get to it each Sunday.

Now, if we were like all the other podcasts out there who are constantly snivelling for money, maybe we could afford to hire interns to do all the dirty work for us. But we're a humble little show.

Now, back to Norm. Here's the episode, which you can listen to right now. Or go to iTunes and download it. And while you're there, leave us a comment and a rating. I don't know if it would help any, but it's always nice to see.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work, as always. Terrific interview.

Jesus said...

Norm has so many interesting things to say. You should do a three hour episode with him next. That would be great.

Anonymous said...

appreciate the explanation on the delayed release- great interview and i will subscribe to the podcast. keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Tremendous interview. I look forward to future interviews with Norm. I could listen to him forever.

Anonymous said...

Great interview but could you please get a different player for your website? I can't rewind or fast forward. At the 50 minute mark I clicked on comments not knowing it would send me to a new page and I lost my place in the interview. Now I will have to play it on mute for 50 minutes to regain my place.

Guy MacPherson said...

Hey, Anonymous #4, I feel your pain. But I'm ignorant to the different players available. Any suggestions? Actually, I thought anyone who listens to podcasts just does what I do and downloads them from iTunes. That's the easiest way. You play and stop at your leisure and it picks up from where you left off. Is that an option for you? If not, you could try listening at comedycouch.com, where these episodes are all housed. I was able to toggle ahead that way. But really, try iTunes. You can listen on the go, too.

Anonymous said...

8

Anonymous said...

Hey Guy. I'm Anonymous #4. Thanks for your response. I'm sorry I'm pretty computer illiterate so I don't know anything about different players. Thanks for your suggestions I will try to download from iTunes. I didn't have iTunes previously but I downloaded it to listen to this interview. Anyway, I was enjoying the interview. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Norm - the animal handler segment on your podcast was terrible. I loved the first few episodes, but you jumped the shark with that bit. Dumbass. I hate you now.

Guy MacPherson said...

Hey, last Anonymous person, you've stumbled onto the wrong site. Norm doesn't live here. He won't see your comment.