Follow GuyMacPherson on Twitter

Sunday, March 15, 2009

March 15: Irwin Barker

Okay, it's not a new one, but it's a good one. Tonight's show originally ran last February, but it's never been up on podcast so if you missed it then, now's your chance. I sat down with Irwin Barker in an empty Yuk Yuk's club on a Saturday afternoon and chatted for an hour. We talked about Irwin's terminal diagnosis, the writing process and his advice to young comics. We didn't talk about the award-winning documentary on his cancer odyssey, That's My Time, nor his comedy dvd Do the Math because they weren't out yet. But it's still a fascinating discussion. And just the other day Irwin told me that there will be another star-studded cancer benefit at the River Rock Show Theatre on June 13. Along with raising money, the show will celebrate the 2-year anniversary of him being given one year to live by the doctors. Stoopid doctors.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go buy Do the Math because Irwin is one funny dude. He's the only guy I know who appeals to every demographic. Once a friend's younger brother – a hard-drinking partier – wrote me saying, "I just saw this comic at Yuk Yuk's. His name was Irwin something or other. Funniest guy I've ever seen in my life."

Amen to that.

So tune in. All the info on how to listen is right over there ––> somewhere.

No comments: