Follow GuyMacPherson on Twitter

Sunday, July 24, 2011

July 24: Roy Zimmerman

Any regular listener to What's So Funny? knows I'm a huge fan of Roy Zimmerman. I've played his political musical satire on the show many a time. Tonight, we actually get to hear from the man himself. He was in town playing an under-publicized gig and he took the time to sit down with me and chat that afternoon. The guy is, without a doubt, the best and funniest singing satirist since the legendary Tom Lehrer (and just as good, I'd say). In fact, the reclusive Lehrer even said, "I congratulate Roy Zimmerman on reintroducing literacy to comedy songs. And the songs actually rhyme, they don't just 'rhyne'." He sings in the folk tradition, but even non-folkies like me can appreciate his brilliance. But the folkies like him, too. Joni Mitchell said, "Roy's lyrics move beyond poetry and achieve perfection." And they do. During the hour we'll listen to a few of his tunes and talk about his lefty leanings.

Tonight at 11 PST, as always. Co-op radio 102.7 FM in Vancouver or live stream it.

No comments: